Unless you live under a rock you have heard the saying, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
And yet you STILL skip breakfast.
And skipping breakfast is fine, if you have no desire to lose weight, feel great or get into shape.
I’m sure you’ve already heard all the reasons to eat breakfast so I won’t dwell on them. Here’s a synopsis of reasons:
1. Eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism for the entire day.
2. Breakfast eaters have more energy and mental alertness all day long.
3. Breakfast eaters weigh less than non breakfast eaters.
4. Breakfast eaters are nicer and are less grumpy so they have more friends.
5. Eating breakfast can help you to eat more balanced and healthier foods throughout the day.
6. Breakfast eaters have super powers.
Ok. 6 isn’t true (or is it?). I was just seeing if you were paying attention.
For the first step on my road to ‘getting back into pre-baby shape’ I am going to focus on breakfast.
Want to focus on this healthy change with me?
When it comes to health goals you have to be realistic about where YOU are and set attainable goals. Think about where you are on the ‘breakfast spectrum’ and choose your goal accordingly.
THE BREAKFAST SPECTRUM
- I NEVER EAT BREAKFAST
- I EAT BREAKFAST A FEW DAYS A WEEK
- I EAT BREAKFAST EVERY DAY BUT IT’S NOT THAT HEALTHY
- I EAT A PRETTY HEALTHY BREAKFAST MOST DAYS OF THE WEEK
- I EAT A BALANCED AND HEALTHY BREAKFAST EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK
- I AM PERFECT AND DON’T NEED THIS BLOG
OK. So now you know where you are on the spectrum let’s set a realistic goal.
You can’t, realistically, go from not eating breakfast at all to eating a super balanced, homemade, healthy breakfast every single day. That would be a huge change to your routine. Check out this list of possible goals and pick one that you can absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, accomplish this week…
- Eat breakfast, ANY breakfast, 1 day this week (you can then increase to 2 days, 3 days, etc)
- Eat a piece of fruit with breakfast
- Put 1/2 a teaspoon LESS sugar in my morning coffee/tea
- Eat a vegetable with breakfast 1 day this week (increase number of days)
- Make my breakfast from scratch 1 day this week (for example, you could make a veggie omelette or scrambled eggs and toast)
NOTE: When I say “any breakfast” I really mean it. If you are not a breakfast eater I’d rather see you eat a donut than eat nothing. You can perfect your breakfast choice later down the road. Start off with just getting food down your throat. We can get picky later. This is a perfect example of ‘baby steps.’ You have to make your goals extremely reachable.
It’s also important to try and eat breakfast within one hour of waking up. But if you aren’t able to reach this goal at first, that’s ok. It’s just something to put in the back of your mind as a future goal, when you’re ready.
What small goal can YOU implement with breakfast this week? Please share in the comments below. I’d love to hear your plan.
Let’s connect on Social Media”
facebook: Gemma Rayne Fountain page – and join my private online community where I offer coaching, tips, advice and more on health, nutrition, fitness & motivation ‘Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching for a Healthier YOU.’
Twitter: Gemma R Fountain
Pinterest: Gemma Rayne Fountain
Want to get to the CORE of your weight issues? Read my book, ‘The Elephant in the Room – how to overcome your psychological barriers to weight loss success’ available NOW on Amazon in print or kindle versions.